Some months back, I took the Ancestry DNA test. As expected, it showed much of my heritage links back to the British Isles. That part matches what I’m finding as I work on my family tree. Below the chart, I list some of the family lines and where they came from in England.
Our English Ancestors:
- Bates family came from Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire
- Bixby ancestor came from Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk
- Browning family came from Maldon, Essex
- Collier family came from Southwark, Surrey
- Goodale ancestor came from Ipswich, Suffolk
- King, West, and Pease ancestors came from Great Baddow, Essex
- Long ancestors came from West Riding, Yorkshire
- Putnam ancestors came from Tring, Hertfordshire
- Tower family came from Hingham
- Vining ancestors came from Wincanton
I found one suggestion that our Joy family changed their name from Joyce in the 1500s when they moved from Ireland to England. I’ll have to search further on that.
Karen has found indications that the Martin family may trace back to France. There will be more work on that line. We know the Rosebaugh line is from Germany. Various invasions of England over the centuries might account for the Scandinavian part of the DNA. Vikings, you know.